Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mother's going GREEN Day 110 - Colds, Colds, Colds... and Flu

Well it would seem that it is not cold or even flu season yet. But this morning I woke up with a cold. In the old days I would grab the Contact C and what ever cold medicine I could get my hands on to help alleviate the symptoms. IN the past I have found that while they alleviate the symptoms - they also make the cold or flu seem to last longer.

This time I figured I was not going to do that and try and cope with the cold naturally - which means rest and drinking fluids. Thankfully my husband was home today and I got to do just that. REST. I slept most of the day and drank hot lemon and honey water - which does wonders. Not too mention the good old Chicken Noodle Soup. I must say I feel 80% better and I feel the cold is almost over.

It would also be great and natural to prevent the cold from ever happening to begin with and that requires a nutritious diet, sufficient sleep and exercise. Being a mom it is not always possible to get the rest I need. I try eat healthy and do some exercise. But I will admit leading up to the cold I did feel very tired - I was not getting enough sleep. While am not about to trade in my infant for sleep - I will just deal with the cold naturally and get on with it.

No more over the counter or prescription drugs for my colds or my families colds. (Excluding my husband of course - I am sure he will still fill his body with the anti cold drugs - but hopefully I have shown him the alternative way to deal with them.)

I will though take tomorrow off from blogging - just to give me some extra rest. Until Tuesday - I will rest well.

2 comments:

CJStewart said...

I've found that when I catch a cold, the Echinacea, Goldenseal, Propolis Throat Spray from Gaia in addition to some elderberry syrup will dramatically lessen the duration of the cold. I also drink lots and lots and lots of water (seriously, like gallons of it). Just this week, I discovered that drinking more than my usual amount of Kombucha tea (I make my own) seemed to really help. My cold started getting better in LESS THAN ONE DAY. About 18 hours after my first symptom, I was getting better.

GOING GREEN said...

I AGREE THE NUTRITIOUS DIET, SUFFICIENT SLEEP AND EXERCISE DOES MAKE SENSE. :)