Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mother's Going GREEN - Day 17 - Involving the Children

Going green for our family was partly inspired by my children. What kind of world are we going to leave them? Whatever world it is I want my children to look back and know that I tried to do something for the world and for them. I also want to teach them the value of the earth and how important it is to our lively hood.


Our family's journey of going green most certainly involves them. The small ways that they help out is:

  • cutting newspaper for the worms (our worm compost) each time we feed them we give them a little fresh newspaper.
  • feeding the worms.

  • taking care of the vegetable garden.

  • ensuring lights are turned off in the rooms and are not turned on during the day. (my son noticed one deary grey evening, that I turned on the light for dinner and he questioned it as it was not quite dark enough for lights. Way to go son!)

  • helping out with the recycling (sorting out the glass from the plastic and the corrugated cardboard from the paper)
I am seeing after only 17 days that my behaviour toward reducing, reusing and recycling is rubbing off on them. "Monkey see, monkey do."

Thank goodness for little children, thank goodness we have the opportunity to do right for the world for them.

No comments: